Halloween project progress 

Halloween project grumbling 

Halloween project humor 

Halloween project progress 

Halloween project documentation 

The thing about spray foam is that it expands over time, even if you get the kind that expands less, for safe use around doors and windows.
Last night I filled the paper head with foam. This morning, it had a baseball-sized tumor.

This head is functionally a paper shell with a reinforcing wire armature that's held in place with spray foam. The spray foam provides a lot of rigidity, but only if it's more than half an inch thick. If I want to be able to see out of the skull as well as I'd like to, I'm going to have to shave the foam in the top of the skull practically down to the paper.

So for the first time in a couple years, I'm gonna paper-mache the head for added rigidity.

It turns out that the local alt weekly uses a yellow ink that is more water-soluble than any of the other inks in the paper. My fingertips are now bright yellow.

No I will not be posting photos.

Gonna go raid the newsbins for more alt weeklies.

How did I misplace an entire bag of bamboo skewers? I should have like a hundred left.

Since last toot:
- discovered the grocer's is out of bamboo skewers
- applied more papier-mΓ’chΓ© to the skull, for more rigidity
- cut wood for the skull side of the pedipalp hinges
- cut more plexiglass blanks for spider eyes
- found a brilliant iridescent vinyl that is exactly the color I wanted, except it's opaque :(
- found an iridescent spraypaint that might work, started testing it on scrap plexiglass
- knocked together a larger lens mould from a salsa jar lid
- started forming more lenses

For these lenses, I've found that the optimal way to form plexiglass in my toaster oven is to bake to around a quarter of the way between 350F and 400F on the temperature dial, for "dark toast" amount of time (less than 10 minutes), and that gets the plexiglass pliant enough to deform by hand with leather gloves.

yes, there will be pictures later of the "toadstool" setup for forming plexiglas

Writing down my hypotheses for tomorrow's paint experimentation:

- putting a couple coats of clear gloss paint on top of the automotive sparkle paint will improve its optical quality by smoothing out the bumps
- the optimal number of layers of sparkle is between 5 and 10, and 20+ will be absurd

If the sparkle/gloss paint hypotheses fail, I'll do some testing with light coats of black spraypaint.

Number of times today a can of spraypaint has exploded in my face: 1

Spray paint cans be like:

> Surrounding areas do not have to be masked off. After application simply remove the product from the areas it is not desired by peeling or wiping away with a dry cloth.
> For personal safety, do mask headlights, taillights, side mirrors, tires, brakes, calipers, windows, and electrical connectors.

I do not understand how this paint can label received regulatory approval.

βœ… shopping for jaw hinge bolts
βœ… new can of clear coat
βœ… eye lens and socket rough sculpts
βœ… pedipalp sculpts

Next up in the project:
- eye fine shaping and glue
- paint pedipalps, eyes
- cut, affix tendons
- glue on floof

βœ… eye fine shaping
βœ… paint pedipalps
βœ… paint eyes

Next up in the project:
- tendons
- floof
- ... the four other eyes, crap

spider images 

Wearing your Halloween costume to the morning teleconference call so that the coworker who missed the afternoon hangout call can see it: priceless.

The pedipalp is composed of two limb segments joined by a simple hinge, and the proximal segment is attached to the head with another simple hinge.

But the angle of the hinges is such that the distal segment is splayed in an unnatural fashion.

The only ways I can see to fix this are:
1. Cut the proximal segment in half, drill holes, reattach at angle
2. Ditch the extant distal segment, and rebuild to accommodate the hinge at an angle.

Spent a chunk of today doing more documentation of the 2019 and 2018 head builds; wrapping up the bit for construction of the skull itself.

I'm still not done with the new pedipalps, so I'll move on to documenting the eyes.


Here's how I built this 2019's Halloween spider head: irradiate.space/skulls/maratus

It's based on a volans, and though I don't call these costumes fursuits, it could be considered a construction tutorial.

Β· Web Β· 0 Β· 0 Β· 0
Sign in to participate in the conversation

This instance is focused around the furry community, and is open to anyone interested in it. It's open to all fluffies and scalies ! ⚠️ We do not accept any form of sponsored content on our site. If you like meow, consider donating something via paypal or Liberapay