Halloween project progress
Awright, it's time to get started. I took last year's Maratus volans head design to Kinko's, and just like last year, had to get staff intervention to print the thing. But it's printed now, and the poster board is flattening. Will hashtag this #Maratus, but there's a decent chance I'll end up using Salticidae colors instead.
Halloween project progress
Assembly of the #Maratus head begins.
Based on last year's experience, I'm gonna try to make the eyes sit closer to my own face as I'm wearing the head. That should make it a little easier to see out.
The thing about spray foam is that it expands over time, even if you get the kind that expands less, for safe use around doors and windows.
Last night I filled the paper #Maratus head with foam. This morning, it had a baseball-sized tumor.
This #Maratus head is functionally a paper shell with a reinforcing wire armature that's held in place with spray foam. The spray foam provides a lot of rigidity, but only if it's more than half an inch thick. If I want to be able to see out of the skull as well as I'd like to, I'm going to have to shave the foam in the top of the skull practically down to the paper.
So for the first time in a couple years, I'm gonna paper-mache the head for added rigidity.
Since last toot:
- discovered the grocer's is out of bamboo skewers
- applied more papier-mâché to the skull, for more rigidity
- cut wood for the skull side of the pedipalp hinges
- cut more plexiglass blanks for spider eyes
- found a brilliant iridescent vinyl that is exactly the color I wanted, except it's opaque :(
- found an iridescent spraypaint that might work, started testing it on scrap plexiglass
- knocked together a larger lens mould from a salsa jar lid
- started forming more lenses
For these #Maratus lenses, I've found that the optimal way to form plexiglass in my toaster oven is to bake to around a quarter of the way between 350F and 400F on the temperature dial, for "dark toast" amount of time (less than 10 minutes), and that gets the plexiglass pliant enough to deform by hand with leather gloves.
Writing down my hypotheses for tomorrow's paint experimentation:
- putting a couple coats of clear gloss paint on top of the automotive sparkle paint will improve its optical quality by smoothing out the bumps
- the optimal number of layers of sparkle is between 5 and 10, and 20+ will be absurd
If the sparkle/gloss paint hypotheses fail, I'll do some testing with light coats of black spraypaint.
Spray paint cans be like:
> Surrounding areas do not have to be masked off. After application simply remove the product from the areas it is not desired by peeling or wiping away with a dry cloth.
> For personal safety, do mask headlights, taillights, side mirrors, tires, brakes, calipers, windows, and electrical connectors.
I do not understand how this paint can label received regulatory approval.
Wearing your Halloween #Maratus costume to the morning teleconference call so that the coworker who missed the afternoon hangout call can see it: priceless.