Halloween project progress
Awright, it's time to get started. I took last year's Maratus volans head design to Kinko's, and just like last year, had to get staff intervention to print the thing. But it's printed now, and the poster board is flattening. Will hashtag this #Maratus, but there's a decent chance I'll end up using Salticidae colors instead.
Halloween project grumbling
All my Halloween-relevant hardware store coupons don't kick in until October 1. I guess that means more time to cut and tape the head.
Halloween project humor
No, my Halloween costume is not a bat with eyebrows as big as his head.
Nor is it a moth.
This #Maratus head is functionally a paper shell with a reinforcing wire armature that's held in place with spray foam. The spray foam provides a lot of rigidity, but only if it's more than half an inch thick. If I want to be able to see out of the skull as well as I'd like to, I'm going to have to shave the foam in the top of the skull practically down to the paper.
So for the first time in a couple years, I'm gonna paper-mache the head for added rigidity.
It turns out that the local alt weekly uses a yellow ink that is more water-soluble than any of the other inks in the paper. My fingertips are now bright yellow.
No I will not be posting photos.
Gonna go raid the newsbins for more alt weeklies.
How did I misplace an entire bag of bamboo skewers? I should have like a hundred left.
Since last toot:
- discovered the grocer's is out of bamboo skewers
- applied more papier-mâché to the skull, for more rigidity
- cut wood for the skull side of the pedipalp hinges
- cut more plexiglass blanks for spider eyes
- found a brilliant iridescent vinyl that is exactly the color I wanted, except it's opaque :(
- found an iridescent spraypaint that might work, started testing it on scrap plexiglass
- knocked together a larger lens mould from a salsa jar lid
- started forming more lenses
For these #Maratus lenses, I've found that the optimal way to form plexiglass in my toaster oven is to bake to around a quarter of the way between 350F and 400F on the temperature dial, for "dark toast" amount of time (less than 10 minutes), and that gets the plexiglass pliant enough to deform by hand with leather gloves.
yes, there will be pictures later of the "toadstool" setup for forming plexiglas
Writing down my hypotheses for tomorrow's paint experimentation:
- putting a couple coats of clear gloss paint on top of the automotive sparkle paint will improve its optical quality by smoothing out the bumps
- the optimal number of layers of sparkle is between 5 and 10, and 20+ will be absurd
If the sparkle/gloss paint hypotheses fail, I'll do some testing with light coats of black spraypaint.
Number of times today a can of spraypaint has exploded in my face: 1
✅ eyes done painting
✅ most floof
- more gluing
The pedipalp is composed of two limb segments joined by a simple hinge, and the proximal segment is attached to the head with another simple hinge.
But the angle of the hinges is such that the distal segment is splayed in an unnatural fashion.
The only ways I can see to fix this are:
1. Cut the proximal segment in half, drill holes, reattach at angle
2. Ditch the extant distal segment, and rebuild to accommodate the hinge at an angle.
Here's how I built this 2019's Halloween spider head: https://irradiate.space/skulls/maratus/construction/